Monday, December 20, 2010

The Year That Was 2010

With the exception of New Years Eve, I doubt I will see another concert this year. 2010 has been a year for music for me, it has been my saving grace and those that I go to concerts with and share those experiences with are the friends I hold dearest to my heart. I have said that I would rather let someone read my diary than look at my I pod.  There is no way that I can pick my favorite concert of 2010, because every show was different and every time I thought that it couldn't be beat, someone even the unexpected, and some just simply out did themselves from the time before.

AA Bondy- Lola's Fort Worth Texas

My sister is the one who got me into AA Bondy, she told me that I should be listening to him, and that he was playing on  a weeknight in Fort Worth. I was skeptical, but I tagged along anyway. He was mesmerizing, he was the perfect soundtrack to a cold January night. He commanded the stage with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica, he played for himself, which is a quality that I admire. There was little to no eye contact made, and he made no attempt at engaging the crowd, not that the small crowd, needed to be engaged. We all just contemplated life's questions of how we ended up here only staring into our drinks, the same questions he contemplated only with him and his guitar. It was quiet and beautiful.



Laura Marling- The Loft Dallas Texas 

This was another show that I tagged along, one of my very favorite concert buddies had an extra ticket and on a Sunday afternoon. I knew the name, but nothing more, I believe I Youtubed her song "Me My Manic and I" but other than that had no knowledge. I went in not sure what to expect and in a year I promised to be more open to music I watched a frail 20 something year old girl, from England, make me shut up and listen. It has not been noted here, but I am exceptionally hard on female singer songwriters, and I know it's unfair, but I have my reasoning.. She played a song called "New Romantic" and from that moment it was my theme, and an instant understanding of who she was.

Delta Spirit- The Loft Dallas Texas

They may simply be my favorite live band. There is nothing that Matt Vasquez won't give to get the audience into it. I have seen Delta Spirit, a couple of times but this night it was all in. History From Below their second album to me was such a different side than Ode to Sunshine that I was wondering how it was all going to blend in a live act. the answer is seamlessly. It was the perfect mix of each and it all blended. The way a crowd reacts to Trashcan, is something to be witnessed, and its a sing along and a coming to together, from indie kids, to frat boys, to musicians from local bands all there loving one band, for the reason that they are just fantastic.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- LaZona Rosa Austin Texas

I had never stood front row at BRMC show, and I am not sure that I will again. This may be my favorite BRMC show ever and there have been many many shows. This is the first time that I felt a venue matched the band, it was an old warehouse and it was a stage, and strobes and a wall of guitars. Standing front row watching Peter Hayes play guitar was perfection, and how much of what they do is sheer talent. The wall of guitar sound, the way that three members can do so much. and the execution of it is RocknRoll perfection. If you wanna see a rock show see BRMC.

Dawes- Cavern, Dallas Texas

Dawes has been the band that I have seen most this year. It has been fun to get to see how fast a band can grow themselves as musicians and capitalize on the opportunities given to them. Though the night at the Cavern can never quite me recreated, it was small and packed, and as good as the show was, it was not the best show that I have seen them play, but I think its one of the most fun shows that I have seen them play. The after hours set of Tom Petty, the Band, CCR and Springsteen showed not only the bands roots, but with out a doubt the talent of these musicians. With only twenty of us left in the room, you knew you were watching something fun, the ten hipsters in the room couldn't sing along except to the obligatory rendition of Petty's "Free Fallin", meanwhile the rest of us were singing along to everything that they wanted to throw at us. My personal favorites were "Cripple Creek', and "You Don't Know How It Feels" There are nothing but good things coming for this band, 2011 will be their year.


Middle Brother (formerly known as MG&V) Ale House Austin Texas

The five song set from McCaulghley Goldsmith and Vasquez three lead singers from three of my favorite bands, their five song set at an over packed Ale House was the South By Show that most didn't see (Muse was playing Stubbs). I went around humming "Daydreaming": and "Thanks for Nothing" for two weeks straight. Though the name was changed from MG&V (guessing it was to close to MGMT, and since Monsters of Fuck didn't stick) they became Middle Brother. There is no release as of now but the self titled is coming, and in a year that I didn't pre order Ryan Adams, I did pre order this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment